Wednesday 4 June 2014

Highs and Lows


Today is National Running Day and although I haven’t been out for a run today, I have done quite a bit of running since I last wrote on here. It’s sometimes difficult to find time to sit down and type! I have a tendency of blogging mainly about the good runs and the fun times that come with running but I can assure you there are just as many lows as there are highs.

Last Tuesday I planned to go for a 7.5 mile run. I didn’t really want to go for a run and by the time I actually got motivated I didn’t have time for a long one. I got ready and decided that I would go out for a shorter run, but foolishly did not really have much of a plan.

I got new shorts and a vest for my birthday and they were a size too small so I took them back and exchanged them for a bigger size. I was wearing my new shorts on Tuesday afternoon and it turns out the bigger size weren’t an ideal fit either as I spent as much time readjusting them as I did running!

I really wasn’t in a mood to run and frequently walked, for no other reason than I didn’t want to run (well the too small shorts may also have had something to do with it…)

I did a lot of walking on the 3 miles I was out, but I tried to make the parts that I did run, a bit faster. It wasn’t the greatest runs I’ve ever had but I guess it was good that I went out and did something.  



I went to training on Thursday, enthusiasm still on the floor, from Tuesdays unsuccessful run. Steve had a tough session planned for us and although it was hard, by the end of the session I could feel my enthusiasm returning. We were doing Fartlek striders (speed play between certain distances) and the group was small and encouraging. Steve reminded me how important it is for me to look at how far I have come rather than how far I still have to go. I definitely think I am too hard on myself sometimes.

At the end of the session I was talking to Steve and Claire about my current lack of enthusiasm with running. I mentioned how I hadn't updated my blog for about my 'bad' run as I am always less motivated to do so. Claire told me to keep blogging as it inspires her to go and run, which really made me smile :-) It's always nice to know that people enjoy reading it, and lovely to think that I might inspire people :-)

I signed up to be the tail runner at South Shields Parkrun last Saturday as I wanted to put some enjoyment back into running instead of always pushing myself so hard. I also thought it would be nice to give someone encouragement as I have been fortunate to receive lots in the months since I started running.

It was a lovely sunny day on Saturday (a little too hot to run!) and I was looking forward to taking part. My best friend Rachael also volunteered (barcode scanning) and my niece Toni ‘helped’ too. My sister, Joanne and Rachael’s boyfriend Karl were also running. It was Karl’s first Parkrun, and where better than South Shields?! I live in Ashington but I love the South Shields Parkrun and do it quite often, so I was looking forward to being the tailrunner.

I chatted to Joanne and her running friends before we started then I headed to the back, ready to run.  I made sure I was the last runner (Colin told me that my only job was to be last across the finish line, so I wanted to make sure that I carried out my job successfully!)

I began to run a little faster to catch up with the runner in front of me and to run with him. I introduced myself and we chatted all the way round the route. The runner introduced himself, Eric Appleby, and told me all about his running career. I was inspired to listen to his story and amazed that at 81 years old he still does the Parkrun every week! I told him I hope that I can run every week when I’m his age! Saturday was Eric’s 187th Parkrun (amazing to my 15!). The previous week was his 150th on the Town Moor and he told me this was a very special occasion - there are photos of Eric running, through the years on the Newcastle Parkrun Facebook Page.

It was an absolute pleasure running with Eric and I am delighted that I decided to be the tailrunner. I could have ran another 3 mile in his company quite easily. As well as enjoying Eric’s company, it also highlighted how much progress I have made since the first time I did the Parkrun at South Shields. Back in December it took me around 39 minutes and I really struggled. On Saturday I ran it in 42.35 and found it quite comfortable (although Eric’s time was 41.24 and I crossed the finish line seconds after him rather than over a minute!)

It was nice that the last two marshalls joined us in running the final stretch of the run, I really felt like I was part of something special. It really was a pleasure to run with Eric and I’m glad to have met him.

Joanne got a pb (a fab 29.04!) and Karl made an excellent Parkrun debut with 27.07! Well done to everyone who took part, and as always the volunteers were amazing. After the parkrun I went back to Joanne’s for a cup of tea (after going to buy some delicious cake at the bakers!) as a well earned treat J
 

On Saturday afternoon I noticed my right foot/ankle was quite painful (so much so I was limping) and I was still aching a little bit from Thursday running session. My ankle was still painful on Sunday and I didn’t know if I would make it to running on Monday night. It was niggling on Monday morning but by the afternoon it was ok and I decided I would go running (even the torrential downpour didn’t put me off!) Monday’s session was really good, although I think I spent a bit more time chatting than running (I love the social side of running!) I enjoyed chatting to Claire and meeting a new member Celia (who I recommended to the running group through the Great North Run Beer Tent Group :). My ankle started hurting again towards the end of the session so I ran 800m with Deb instead of the full km for the last repetition.

I’ve decided to have a few days off from running until my foot feels completely better (I’m not sure exactly what the problem is, but I think I might not have been concentrating on my running form on Saturday at the parkrun due to chatting!) It’s much better today so I think I might go to training tomorrow night J I won’t be doing a parkrun on Saturday as I will be getting sorted for my charity event (a comedy night to raise funds for the North East Trust for Aphasia, who I doing the GNR for) but hope to return to a parkrun again soon!

Thank you for reading and happy National Running Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment